reading, michigan

The city of Reading was originally set up in 1840 as Basswood Corners, according to the 1879 History of Hillsdale County by Everts & Abbott. There was deemed a need for a trading center, and since most area people knew of the unusual stand of Basswood trees at the corners of the four sections ( seven basswood trees, each with a diameter of about 20 inches, growing in one clump) the name was given.

www.readingmichigan.com

fun

When the Fort Wayne, Jackson & Saginaw railroad came thru town in 1869, the town experienced great growth and was renamed in 1875 to Reading, after the well known town in Pennsylvania.

For local lodging options www.backroadslodging.com

For cool shopping trips www.michigangiftshops.com