clare historic landmark tour
History comes alive through a tour of historic landmarks and destinations in Clare County Michigan.
Jonesville – Jonesville Rd. half mile north of Muskegon Rd. Known for the railroad bridge, this site was a railway roll-off for timber into the Muskegon River.
Meredith – M-18 in Franklin Township this site became a town in the 1880's due to the intersecting railways.
Surrey House – 125 E. Beech, Harrison - Originally named the ‘Ohio Tavern” in 1879.
Spike Horn Ruins – Corner of E. M-61 & Bus 27, Harrison “Spikehorn” Meyers, renowned for bringing live bears to Michigan’s capital when lobbying the State Senate, raised bears at this site. This was a regular stop for those heading “up north” on Old 27.
Campbell City – 101 S. Main St., Temple. Currently named Temple this was an early logging area.
Gerrish Railroad – Roadside Park on US-127 south of Mannsiding Rd. between Clare and Harrison. Named for Scott Gerrish, this site commemorates the first successful railroad in Michigan.
Cornwell Ranch – Cornwell Ave. half mile south of Mannsiding Ave. in Arthur Township, this ranch had a major influence on the development of surrounding communities.
Depression Era Art – Doherty Hotel, Clare Painted by Jay McHugh in 1932. Works Progress Administration (WPA) Art – Clare Post Office and Clare Middle School - These murals, commissioned following the Great Depression, are federally protected works of art.
Dover Schoolhouse and Ott Log Cabin - Dover & Eberhart Rd. Just south of Dover Rd. and originally named Crawford Settlement, the village of Dover was one of the first settlements in the area. It is now the home of the Clare County Historical Museum, (open Saturday afternoons during the summer).
Farwell Historical Society & Museum – 221 Main, Farwell - Sam Farwell was a man instrumental to railroad development in the area and was director of the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad.
Wilson State Park – On the shores of Budd Lake in Harrison, the parks main building was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corp. in 1939 along with a stone residence built using rock from Clare, Missaukee, and Gladwin counties.